Recent Updates Toggle Comment Threads | Keyboard Shortcuts
Aloha! At the WordPress meetup right now…..looking foward to becoming a part…and sharing….
It was nice to meet a last night.
Topics I would like to see are:
- Best Practices
- Integrating configuration (avoiding dreaded custom settings screens)
- Data Storage for arbitrary plugin settings and per-user data as generated/set by a plugin)
- Making the best use of the “post” data model and tags for custom content (generated by a plugin) to avoid creating new html pages, but also avoid them showing up in the wrong feeds.
- Theme development best practices
- PHP best practices (WP focused)
- WordPress on Windows
- WordPress in turnkey VMs (cloud, such as Amazon)
General (non-development) best practices
- Max Number/types of plugins, plugin types to avoid, must-have plugins, etc.
- Themes (and theme providers) to avoid or embrace, pitfalls
- Upgrade best practices and testing
- SEO (how much can we truly impact it other than simply having good content and getting others to link to it?). And what tools/plugins are best to ease the SEO pain so we can get on with feature development or producing content?
Another great meetup tonight. Thank you to all that came.
We talked about
- Themes vs Plugins, multiple sites with different themes.
- Backups and Updates
- Sharing a site in development securely with others.
- Hiring developers to move forward with a project based on a mockup.
- Making adjustments to purchased themes.
- Image size optimization tools.
We didn’t get to my plugin in progress to add a split sidebar option to Genesis, but I’ll cover it soon.
WordPress 3.6.1 was just released. It includes a couple minor security fixes so you should update promptly.
Sucuri has a nice writeup of what those security vulnerabilities were including rational explanations of there severity (or lack there of):
Great meeting tonight and very useful information. Thanks to all the presenters.
Demo’d Desktop Server and how to create a WP user on a site without access to the dashboard (both via MySQL and via FTP/PHP) here are the notes and links:
Setup local dev site with DesktopServer
Add users to site without dashboard access
1) MySQL way
a) I use CodeBox to insert snippet into Gist
b) Insert into PHPMyAdmin
c) A better MySQL snippet
Add users via FTP/PHP
1) Add users via FTP/PHP
b) place file on server and visit